The Change Log
Note that dates weren't recorded until June 15, 2010. Coding began July 2009, beta testing April 23, 2010. Beta testing ended September 2011.
Legend: ∗ = priority level, B = discovered in BETA testing
- delete utility for user for drafts and new uploads.
- Allow blank class,elev,type,name.
- show errors to user (missing fields, cookie expired, not logged in).
- Link to download KML file.
- Data fields to have mouseover highlight and onclick functions to define what the field is.
- fix balloon (not styled).
- "Compress" / "Don't Compress" radio buttons in Upload/Edit screen.
- build a "first time viewer" page (ensures popups and cookies work) as intro.
- fix file process and reduction routine. Won't accept GPX w/o Z data, & reduction weird.
- searching by more parameters should give shorter list, not longer list.
- "Search by Parameters" should retain search values after return with data.
- Build first draft of "HELP" section.
- B Doesn't keep whole GPX <trk>...</trk>, just first <trkseg>...</trkseg>
- basic admin control over users (list, edit, activate, deactivate.
- B Doesn't save waypoints!!
- Download link should save as "filename.kml", not "tmapper.cgi".
- needs an edit button, instead of using name field (what if no name?)
- B Should display units (ft, mi) in parameters box in main display.
- ∗ needs to observe Status and Public flags in parameter search.
- ∗ "My Trails" should show 'Type' instead of 'Author' (self).
- B IE 7 won't display login screen correctly in compatibility mode.
- ∗∗∗ store coordinate data in separate table.
- ∗∗ create a "show all trails in current view" function.
- doesn't consistently show same results for same search.
- ∗∗∗ zoom to all searched trails, not last loaded trail.
- ∗∗ Generate GPX data for users to download track.
- suppress Seasonal Usage table when displaying waypoint info.
- B needs to search keywords, not keyphrase
- ∗∗ show other trails by author
- ∗ user-to-user contact mechanism.
- ∗ allow author to delete own post if it has never been edited by other user(s).
- isn't saving seasonal usage data from edit screen. June 15, 2010
- append 'target="new"' to valid XHTML href's in description, notes. June 17
- display count of waypoints, trails and routes in "My Trails" list. June 20
- display last editor in balloon. June 21
- B ∗∗∗ should have NavTool on by default, restore navbar settings from prior session. July 11
- ∗∗∗ rewrite compression routine for speed, better algorithm, more general case. July 17
- ∗∗ make sure first and last coordinate points kept. July 17
- made display of advanced search options a toggled field. Nov 2
- ∗ ability to open trail in main display from either Listview or Edit/Upload. Nov 3
- ∗ ability to send a link to an email recipient. Nov 3
- B ∗ leave TM window alone, have login/logout in popup window. Nov 10
- Fixed out of sequence track points resulting in track with straight lines drawn across it. Nov 10
- Simplified interface, standarized menu structure, fixed bug with timeouts in upload area. Nov 11
- B ∗∗ Rewrite compression routine AGAIN --
Start of BETA version
Moved from development server to trailmapper.org
- compare changes in bearing from previous point to new point.
- If no change in bearing, don't save old point.
- If changes, save old point.
Out of BETA, version 1.0
The Wish List
This is a list of some of the major shortcomings of TM that I feel can be tackled.
When you find a flaw that isn't on this list, please let me know so that I might do something about it.
- ∗ Mass delete utility for admin.
- ∗∗ Admin contact mechanism. (Allow admin to contact one, few, or all users.)
- ∗ Allow a TM account to be deleted if no uploads.
- Preload config tables with default values.
- Better error trapping in table creation routine during setup.
- Setup must determine base directory and store as config setting.
- Create admin "Help" section.
- ∗ Build "notify" feature -- edits and uploads are sent to an admin or moderator.
- ∗ As part of "notify" feature, all edits and uploads and even account creations should be logged.
- Have a "recent uploads" feature.
- When doing a "search viewable area", zoom back to original extents.
- Test for active login before page refresh (info balloon, upload/edit), avoid loosing trl.
- Apply "frames" to menu bar - avoid reload on login/logout, avoid reload confirmation
- ∗∗∗ Need to be able to attach waypoints to a trail/route.
- Attached waypoints should show only after parent trail highlighted, avoids clutter.
- Allow enabling/disabling of individual tracks or searches (layers).
- ∗∗ Incorporate topographic layer (difficult in Google Earth, maybe export to Google Maps).
- ∗∗ Build "printer friendly" version of description balloon. (Maybe incorporate in Google Maps).
- A "history of edits" window.
- In-screen editing of geographic points.
- Read GPS data directly
- Have a list of all submitted, viewable trails.
- B directions to trailhead, distance from town.
- Mass upload utility so that many trails can be uploaded at once.
- Format elevation as x,xxx feet (use commas).
- B add placename search (ie, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau).